Crown Perth - Environmental Footprint
Crown Perth is focussed on reducing its environmental impact by pursuing meaningful activities in waste reduction, water conservation and energy efficiency. As part of this focus, we have an endorsed environmental management policy, an environmental management system and a dedicated environmental committee, consisting of employees from all sectors of the business.
For more infromation view our Environmental Policy
Crown Perth encourages recycling around the resort with custom-made recycling bins for food waste, general waste, co-mingled recycling, cardboard and paper.
We also have recycling programs in place for:
- Cooking oil
- Plastic wrap
- Fluorescent tubes and discharge lamps
- Playing cards
Through these initiatives, we divert 80% by weight of the resorts waste from landfill.
Crown Perth has also identified an opportunity to significantly reduce waste through the collection of food wastage from kitchens which can be used for composting. Our waste collection system diverts hundreds of tonnes of food waste from landfill each year. We produce over 9,000 staff meals alone each day in the production kitchen along with food waste from our commercial kitchens, and a significant proportion of our landfill waste comprises of organic waste (at times up to 70%).
Crown Perth water-saving initiatives across the business, include:
- Filters have been installed to remove high iron levels across the resort, preventing discolouration of the white building exteriors.
- The bore project provides irrigation to over two hectares of parks and gardens, saving approximately 15,000 kilolitres of water each year.
- The retrofitting of sprinklers to MP Rotators in three main areas of the resort – Crown Metropol pool and spa gardens, Carvers Buffet restaurant gardens and Crown Promenade gardens – has shown a decrease in water wastage.
- The balcony gardens of Crown Metropol have been fitted with sub-surface soaker hoses.
- More water tolerant plants have been introduced. Crown Perth is working in collaboration with Biowise to remove organic green waste to process and return it as mulch for all gardens around the complex.
- Landscape watering in many areas is hand-watered, rather than automatic reticulation, to reduce water usage and assist public safety through wet paving areas.
- Installation of an automatic controlled urinal flushing system in the male toilets has reduced the resort-wide water usage by 96%.
- Back of house showers and hotel guest rooms have been fitted with water-saving shower heads, reducing the usage from 12 litres per minute to 8 litres per minute, conserving approximately 262,800 litres of water annually.
- Restrictor valves have been installed into hand basins throughout the resort, reducing water usage from approximately 9 litres per minute to 3.5 litres per minute. Alone saving an estimate of 6,835,538 litres of water each year.
- Through these initiatives, water usage has been significantly reduced and in April 2012, the Complex was recognised by the Water Corporation’s ‘Water Efficiency Management Plan’ for showing an improvement in water usage by 25-35%.
The Resort is a recipient of the 2013/2014 Water-Wise Award in the Business and Government Agency (greater than 100,000 litres) category.
Crown Perth has an energy-monitoring program in place and has continued to introduce new energy saving initiatives throughout the Resort.
Recent energy conservation projects include:
- Time management of air conditioning plant.
- Lighting continually assessed and changed to more energy effective units – compact fluorescent lights, LED, and voltage controlled units fitted.
- Auto controls to all external lighting.
- Upgrade to controls of steam boilers and gas heating boilers to improve combustion process and minimise CO2 emissions.
- Central plant and equipment retrofitted and replaced with the latest technologies.
- Energy saving key tags in all hotel guest rooms to ensure automatic power switch-off.
- Staff education and engagement, through a calendar of environmental initiatives.
Crown Perth is also a proud supporter of Earth Hour and Clean Up Australia Day.