Crown Perth - environmental footprint
Crown Perth is focussed on reducing its environmental impact by pursuing meaningful activities in waste reduction, water conservation and energy efficiency. As part of this focus, we have an endorsed environmental management policy, an environmental management system and a dedicated environmental committee, consisting of employees from all sectors of the business.
Crown Perth encourages recycling around the resort with custom-made recycling bins for food waste, general waste, co-mingled recycling, cardboard and paper.
We also have recycling programs in place for:
- Cooking oil
- Plastic wrap
- Fluorescent tubes and discharge lamps
- Hotel room soap
- Coffee pods
Crown Perth has also identified an opportunity to significantly reduce waste through the collection of food wastage from kitchens which can be used for composting. Our waste collection system diverts hundreds of tonnes of food waste from landfill each year.
Crown Perth was recognised as a Platinum Waterwise Business having received the 2022 Commercial Waterwise Business of the Year Award for both Crown Towers Perth and Crown Metropol Perth from the Water Corporation.
Crown Perth water-saving initiatives across the business, include:
- The bore project provides irrigation to over two hectares of parks and gardens, saving approximately 50,000 kilolitres of water each year.
- The retrofitting of sprinklers to MP Rotators in three main areas of the resort – Crown Metropol pool and spa gardens, Carvers Buffet restaurant gardens and Crown Promenade gardens – has shown a decrease in water wastage.
- The balcony gardens of Crown Metropol have been fitted with sub-surface soaker hoses.
- More water tolerant plants have been introduced.
- Installation of an automatic controlled urinal flushing system in the male toilets has reduced the resort-wide urinal water usage by 96%.
- Back of house showers and hotel guest rooms have been fitted with water-saving shower heads, reducing the usage from 12 litres per minute to 8 litres per minute, conserving approximately 262,800 litres of water annually.
- Tap restrictor/aerators have been installed into hand basin tapware throughout the resort, reducing water usage from approximately 9 litres per minute to 3.5 litres per minute. Alone saving an estimate of 6,835,538 litres of water each year.
Crown Perth has an energy-monitoring program in place and has continued to introduce new energy saving initiatives throughout the resort.
Recent energy conservation projects include:
- Time management of air conditioning plant.
- Lighting continually assessed and changed to more energy effective.
- Auto controls to all external lighting.
- Upgrade to controls of steam boilers and gas heating boilers to improve combustion process and minimise CO2 emissions.
- Central plant and equipment retrofitted and replaced with the latest technologies.
- Energy saving controls in all hotel guest rooms to ensure automatic power switch-off.
- Staff education and engagement, through a calendar of environmental initiatives.
Crown Perth is also a proud supporter of Earth Hour and Clean Up Australia Day.